Thursday, March 10, 2011

Madame Errazuriz

Madame Errazuriz was my first oil painting. As a matter of fact, it was my first painting ever.

In the Summer of 2004, I took an oil painting course as an elective (back in Design school) - that was, by far, the most enjoyable course I had ever taken.

Our first assignment was to paint a portrait – a replica of a famous portrait. That was when I came across Madame Errazuriz, a beautiful portrait by the famous John Singer Sargent.

I loved the colours, brush strokes and simplicity of the portrait. It was simply fascinating. So I attempted to paint her. Below is the result:

The funny thing was that many assumed that it was a self portrait (of myself); while others thought it was a portrait of my mother. They saw the resemblance in the nose and cheekbones I guess.

I felt that this piece is very much worth sharing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Madame Errazuriz
Madame Errazuriz
c. 1880 - 82
John Singer Sargent (American Painter)
Oil on canvas

21 x 19 in (53.3 x 48.3 cm)
Private collection

Madame Eugenia Errazuriz née Eufenia Huic (1858-1951) was a keen art supporter. She was friends with noted writers and musicians such as W.R. Sickert, Baron de Meyer, Diaghilev, Stravinsky, Jean Cocteau and Cecil Beaton.

Sargent became very fond of her and had painted her a number of times.

Besides Sargent, Madame Errazuriz was also painted by Jacques-Emile Blanche (French painter 1861-1942), Giovanni Boldini, Paul Helleu, Augustus John, and Pablo Picasso.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow noor this is icredible, why don't you paint more often you're so good at it. And it DOES look like you, especially your version of it.
    Tetzakary kona a3den b my room I was working on an assignment o you were painting and we had a "Lost" marathon? =D

    ReplyDelete

Aspire to inspire before you expire... Thank You!